On March 16, our chapter hosted our first ever hybrid meeting at Mitsubishi Chemical in Chesapeake. In addition to the excitement of this milestone, we also had members from the Colonial chapter join our event (online and in person!)
In addition, we provided a check for $500 dollars and an ASSP student membership to ODU student Mark Burch, an Environmental Health major with a minor in Occupational Safety. Thanks to each of our members for participating in our December 2021 Holiday raffle fundraiser that made this possible.
Our speakers, Tim Paz and Amy McCae, provided an incredibly valuable presentation on emotional intelligence and how we can apply that to our lives, personally and professionally. Feel free to access the presentation slides at the link below. They also provided many additional resources that we’ve posted below for your reference.
The link below should be www.mindfulnessexercises.com
Amy offers a free weekly meditation on Wednesdays at 11:30 CST. It is short, sweet, secular, and no experience is needed. The live audio is recorded and uploaded. That link is here: www.mindfulnessleadercoach.com/courses/weekly-meditation
Coherent Breathing from The Healing Power of the Breath authors (video, 17 minutes)
- Why you should build a “Career Portfolio” (Not a “Career Path”) – Harvard Business Review
- Civility in America Report (2016)
- Civility in American Report (2019)
- The Healthy Mind Platter
- Dissecting Downtime: The Impact of Gender on Rest
- Seek, Speak, and Listen (Boeing)
- Journey to Hyper-Learning Roadmap
Picks from Tim’s Library:
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Mindfulness for Beginners: Reclaiming the Present Moment—and Your Life
- Goleman, Daniel. Emotional Intelligence. Random House Publishing Group.
- Cain, Susan (2013). Quiet. New York: Broadway Paperbacks.
- Porath, Christine (2016). Mastering Civility: A Manifesto for the Workplace. Grand Central Publishing.
- Porath, Christine. Mastering Community. Grand Central Publishing.
- Ross, Maria (2019). The Empathy Edge: Harnessing the Value of Compassion as an Engine for Success.
- Krznaric, Roman (2014). Empathy: Why It Matters, and How to Get It. Penguin Publishing Group.
- Richard D. Fulwiler, PhD, Transformational Leadership, The Key to World-Class Safety. (June 2011); EHS Today
- Sutch, Z., & Malone, P. (2021). Leading with love and Laughter: Letting go and getting real at work. Berrett-Koehler Publishers.
- Brown, Richard P.; Patricia, MD Gerbarg. The Healing Power of the Breath: Simple Techniques to Reduce Stress and Anxiety, Enhance Concentration, and Balance Your Emotions. Shambhala. *
- Eurich, Tasha. Insight: The Surprising Truth About How Others See Us, How We See Ourselves and Why the Answers Matter More than We Think. The Crown Publishing Group.
- Meng Tan, Chad, (2012). Search Inside Yourself: The Unexpected Path to Achieving Success, Happiness ( and World Peace). New York, New York :Harper (Reference from Tim and Amy)
- Mindful Schools of California
- Mindfulness and Neural Integration: Daniel Siegel, MD at Tedx StudioCityED