Cox Enterprises- Safety and Risk Consultant
Primary Location: 7741 Southern Dr, Springfield,VA US
Division: Cox Communications Inc
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Shift: Day Job
Requisition Number: 199719
The Safety Consultant is responsible for assuring the reduction and severity of Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) claims through educating employees and leadership on proper incident reporting, serving as a liaison with insurance carriers and medical personnel, and communicating claim trends, frequency and costs to leadership. In addition, he/she participates in EHS activities such as inspections, audits and training, as well as provides support for special projects or issues that have the potential to affect employee health and safety.
- Ensures injured employees receive proper medical attention and maintains close liaison with preferred medical providers and Third-Party Administrator (TPA).
- Ensures that the company makes every effort to reasonably accommodate those employees with special physical challenges and authorizes the Modified Duty program as applicable.
- Educates employees who have been injured on the job or involved in an auto accident and works closely with HR/Employee Relations with regard to developing employees to prevent re-occurrence, if warranted.
- Compiles and accurate analyzes monthly auto accident and injury reports, identifying trends and areas of concern.
- Ensures all reported claims are investigated and reported to TPA in a timely manner. Provides additional information as warranted in the event litigation occurs.
- Conducts ergonomic assessments, studies complaints, makes recommendations for new workstations/work environments and conducts ergonomic training sessions.
- Coordinates and conducts on-going EHS initiatives including on-going or new safety training programs.
- Researches various safety issues in response to internal customer needs and requests and provides recommended solutions.
- Assists in maintaining current and accurate records, including OSHA, Worker’s Compensation and DOT/driver files. Participates in calls/meetings with Worker’s Compensation adjusters as they pertain to claim status and processing.
- Assists in communications/presentations for New Employee Orientation, Safety Committee, leadership and company communications to enhance the development of safety initiatives.
- Has access to confidential employee records including safety, risk, and employee information and maintains confidentiality, including HIPAA requirements.
- Works proactively to audit, assess and maintain safety and risk mitigation programs, oversight of contracted services, and expansion of enterprise risk management by serving on safety committees.
- Responsible for the successful creation and maintenance of new and existing injury reduction plans and interventions.
- Leads the design, development, and implementation of training programs, including train-the-trainer programs, for targeted workplace safety work groups.
- Oversees and completes projects that vary in scope and scale while ensuring compliance with regulatory standards and financial allocations.
- Actively contributes to and participates in Business Continuity Plan (BCP) proceedings, as necessary.
- Prepares and disseminates injury rate data, risk analysis, mitigation strategies, and related information to workplace safety work groups and management.
- Uses a variety of software applications to research, compose reports, analyze data, and present information using written and multimedia strategies.
- Maintains the accident and fire prevention programs for an assigned geographic territory.
- Identifies unsafe conditions. Determines accident cause factors and facilitates appropriate remedial actions.
- Responsible for developing a quality program that supports continuous improvement in processes, procedures, and work standards.
- Manages a risk identification process for the organization’s operations, departments, and services. Educates and assists other managers in assessing their areas of responsibility for exposures to loss and unsafe processes and conditions.
- Maintains a risk management information system. Collects, evaluates, and reports on events, incidents, and claims. Performs statistical analysis and trending of events and claims to pinpoint high risk areas for management attention.
- Reviews and analyzes incident reports, rates by severity, and conducts all follow-up as identified from review. Completes trending analysis to identify top priority areas for improvement.
- Investigates all significant events as deemed necessary. Assists with communication and documentation of errors or serious events in accordance with legal requirements and/or accreditation standards.
- Coordinates risk and safety management orientation and continuing education programs for providers, management, and staff to enhance awareness of their role in employee safety, risk reduction, and event reporting.
- Acts as liaison to outside agencies such as local, state, federal, or voluntary accrediting agencies.
- Interfaces with local, state and federal regulatory agencies on complex permitting, reporting and related issues. Works with internal teams to provide technical expertise to health and safety procedures.
- 2+ years of Safety/Risk related experience including Workmen’s comp, auto liability and general liability claims management.
- Advanced written and verbal communication and people skills.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Successful project management experience.
- Self-sufficient and can work with limited guidance.
- Ability to effectively partner and consult with field leaders.
- Skilled in identifying trends and strategically identifying and implementing resolutions under the direction of the Manager, Safety and Risk.
- Able to represent the company with regulatory agencies such as OSHA, DOT, etc.
- Experience conducting ergonomic assessments and providing recommendations for remediation.
- Experience conducting accident investigations, preferably within a highly regulated industry or related field.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with ability to balance quickly changing priorities.
- Experience conducting ergonomic and automotive investigations.
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and SharePoint programs.
- Valid local state Driver’s License with driving record that meets Cox standards.
- Able to regularly travel between locations within region as well as other Cox locations across the country; includes overnight travel.
- BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly desired (i.e., Marketing, Business, etc.)
- Experience in telecommunications industry desired.
- Certification or accreditation from a Safety and Risk Management Association or a governing body desired.
- Knowledge of accident prevention and loss control.
- 1-2 years’ experience managing Worker’s Compensation and/or auto claims.
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We’re dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique. Cox Communications is the largest division of Cox Enterprises, a family-owned business founded in 1898 by Governor James M. Cox.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Job ID: 199719